Monday, October 11, 2010

Update......10.07.2010Can you believe it is October? Well, we missed our October 1 appt at Duke due to the flooding.  Beth, Gage and Aunt Kim were all headed to Duke and we call home and they are evacuating the animals, the water was at Beth's back door and they needed Uncle Chuck to come cut the power off the water/ house due to pump house was under water.  Beth and I looked at each other and said "No Way let's go home and help move things if it comes to that". So we rescheduled all our appts to Oct 12 and did a U-turn and came home. Gage slept the whole time.   Today, October 7 and the last few days have been AWFUL for Gage. He has cried literally non stop and his voice his shrill and hoarse.  Beth and Aunt kim loaded him up and took him to the Pediatrician yesterday after we had tried everything at home.  We changed him over to Pedialyte, we did suppositories for his bowels, gas drops, checked his g-tube, did hurricane gel on his gums, his lungs clear, secretions clear, bowel sounds are very active.  We put him in warm water to relax his buttock, rectal temps for stimulation, ginger ale, massages, you name it and we did it....He cried (Gage does not cry) all the way there 1 hour, the whole visit, and 1 hour home. The MD said negative strep throat; and one of his ears was a little red but she did not think that was the problem; she gave us sample antibiotic, and soy milk to mix with the pedialyte to go in his g-tube.  The office staff and MD kept saying "You really don't feel good do you buddy". What was their first clue?? OK, after we leave we have to mix this soy/pedialyte solution so I stop at HESS station and buy a Vitamin Water. Beth drinks a couple swallows and we dump the rest out and then we mix the drink in the parking lot. We also mix the antibiotic and take the syringes out and administer the meds into his tube as Gage is crying.  DEA could have busted us for a lab on wheels we had all kinds of things laid out mixing.   Anyway, I called Beth this morning and Gage had a little bit of stool very loose but not a lot. The MD wants to see them Friday am if he is not any better and then I suppose they will do an x ray of his abdomen i would imagine. He is miserable, Beth is miserable. We all cried.  I know I have said this before but i wish that it worked that you could trade out and take this sickness onto myself and let him be well.   He is such a sweet kid and he goes thru so much EVERY day, why does he have to have it so rough? Another lesson i suppose. Another reason to lean on the Lord and have him pull us thru it b/c believe me i am no saint and I question why Gage and why cant it be me instead. Put it on me Lord. I would gladly take it for him. But again me being human and weak I am not meant to know why things happen the way they do. I have to accept, believe, and have faith that this is how it is supposed to be. TRUST in the LORD to know. Be there for my little sugar plum. It is just so hard being a nurse and not being able to do ONE thing to take away his pain. Humbling to say the least to a person like myself who likes control of her world, but who the Lord is teaching that I have no control except that which he gives me.  All I know is that every day is a blessing with this little guy. I have a cousin, Eddie, and his mother is dying.  Eddie got her to take her to medications the other night by reminding her that she always promised him that she would do anything for him if he asked.  She swallowed her pills for him as he was on his knees by her bedside holding the cup for her to drink. Every moment is a blessing for Eddie and his family right now with Aunt Lois. Every moment is a blessing with Gage. Family and Good Friends are so important remember to tell them you love them. Love, Aunt Kim   
*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment