Monday, October 11, 2010

Update......10.11.2010Hello From the Ronald McDonald room at Duke hospital. A few of you are surprised and some already knew, but I will update on what has gone on in the last couple of days.  My Aunt Lois passed away and she was a very very sweet woman who tried to see the good in everyone.  Mama, Lisa, Larry and myself were at Aunt Lois visitation on Saturday night when I get a frantic phone call from Beth stating Gage is having seizures back to back and they are on the way to the Emergency Room. Well, we are torn until we get a second call that tells us that East Care out of Greenville is coming to fly him to Duke; and they cannot get an IV so they have to drill a hole just below his knee to obtain IV access, and then they will put him on a ventilator.  Well, they cannot do this so we leave and race back to Washington County (mom kept saying this is taking too long), and Lisa kept telling me to go faster, and Beth would call and I would call her call and tell her to tell them NOT to drill the hole until the guys on the helicopter tried.  Then to prevent him from being intubated and put on a ventilator I called back and said remember he has to take fiber optics to be intubated and I feel sure Washington Co will not take this on.  The next thing I do is call Jay Hardison and ask him to start praying and start our pray chain. Lisa does the same, and I laughingly to break the tension tell Lisa to pray b/c I am driving and closing my eyes would not be a good thing. She said she has been praying the whole time, so all of us in the truck are praying out loud that the Lord will guide the MD/nurses to find an IV and Gage will stop having seizures, and will not have to be intubated.  We arrived at the hospital and Gage is pitiful but praise be to the LORD the nurse found a tiny IV in his left foot. The MD has agreed to hold off and let the helicopter personnel decide about intubation. It NEVER fails to HUMBLE and bring me to my knees to see Gage laid on a stretcher. I mean he is 2 1/2 years old and he has flown on East Care and Duke Flight, and he is struggling with these seizures that they think were triggered by the Suprax. But Aunt Kim will deal with that later. We watch the team arrive, as my family and good friends-Dawn, Zach, Beth, and Sandra are waiting in the hall with us. Gage comes out and they decide after it seems forever NOT to intubate at this moment. But they will Annie if he continues to desat or have a lot of seizures. They strap him down and he is exhausted and resting like an angel and he is soooo little, and soooo precious and I tell the team that they carry precious cargo and God Speed. We all kiss his forehead or little hands, and then as we stand on the sidewalk in the dark they take him away from us BUT, BUT you and I both know that another person got on that helicopter-THE LORD. As the wind blew in our faces, we all shed tears and Aunt Kim prayed for the Lord's will to be done. Afterwards when we could no longer see the lights it felt as though a part of you heart was taken, and I couldn't help but think of Aunt Lois. She was on her flight to Heaven too. Gage had wings and Aunt Lois did too. ML and Beth came up to Duke that night and Gage was admitted to PICU directly he had over 50 seizures and they continued to threaten the IV in his knee all night.  Aunt Kim got a call around 430 am and when I got to Duke Gage decided he better straighten up (HAHA). He was shortly transferred out of PICU to the 5th floor step down. They have continued to threaten the knee IV until about one hour ago around 10am.  Gage has not had any seizures since 6am Sunday am. We are changing meds, We upped his VNS device and magnet a little while ago. We have to stay another night. Beth slept in a recliner that does not recline; Aunt Kim slept in a hard straight chair and I am sleeping in the bathtub tonight. Gage was wired and had his times mixed up so at 230am he was up and playing and he has an awful cough that requires a lot of suctioning.  The nurses so far have been OK.  Beth and I were giving Gage a bath and turned the whole tub of water over in his crib. I was worried he was going to be electrocuted b/c they have him on heart/pulse ox/IV/GT. Even his dogs got soaked he could have drown. Gage smiled and we put him in his stroller while I mopped water.  But we have to stay another day because they are going to make sure that he does not start seizing again.  If he doesn't then we will be released in the am.  God is good. and I know he kept Gage from being intubated, and needing an IV drilled into his bone below his knee. I am blessed. God puts us thru these trials to make us better people, more forgiving, more loving, more tolerant.  All of you think of me in the bathtub tonight and thank you for loving me and loving Gage.  Aunt Kim 
*Beth*

No comments:

Post a Comment